Monday, February 07, 2005

GOODNIGHT ELIZABETH!

ya know, i luv all things that have my name in them. maybe its b/c its not that common to find a book title, a song, a movie title, etc. with the name elizabeth in it.

but hot damn, if i didn't discover that the counting crows sing a song called goodnight elisabeth. of course i downloaded it and have been obsessively listening to it (yes, i am that vain, however, i must admit its strange hearing my name in a song).

here are they lyrics for your pleasure (even though they are kinda sad)

goodnight elisabeth

I was wasted in the afternoon
Waiting on a train
I woke up in pieces and elisabeth had disappeared again
I wish you were inside of me
I hope that you’re ok
I hope you’re resting quietly
I just wanted to say

Goodnight elisabeth
Goodnight elisabeth

We couldn’t all be cowboys
So some of us are clowns
Some of us are dancers on the midway
We roam from town to town
I hope that everybody can find a little flame
Me, I say my prayers, then I just light myself on fire
And I walk out on the wire once again
And I say

Goodnight elisabeth
Goodnight elisabeth

I will wait for you in baton rouge
I’ll miss you down in new orleans
I’ll wait for you while she slips in something comfortable
And I’ll miss you when I’m slipping in between
If you wrap yourself in daffodils
I will wrap myself in pain
And if you’re the queen of california
Baby I am the king of the rain
And I say

Goodnight elisabeth
Goodnight elisabeth


also, it seems edgar allen poe wrote a lil diddy about "elizabeth" too (which was his mother's name).

Elizabeth, it surely is most fit
[Logic and common usage so commanding]
In thy own book that first thy name be writ,
Zeno and other sages notwithstanding;
And I have other reasons for so doing
Besides my innate love of contradiction;
Each poet - if a poet - in pursuing
The muses thro' their bowers of Truth or Fiction,
Has studied very little of his part,
Read nothing, written less - in short's a fool
Endued with neither soul, nor sense, nor art,
Being ignorant of one important rule,
Employed in even the theses of the school-
Called - I forget the heathenish Greek name
[Called anything, its meaning is the same]
"Always write first things uppermost in the heart."


i am sure i will have more to add to this post as i continue to google "elizabeth".

note: sorry i can't help it ;)



2 comments:

Daph said...

One time I googled my name, and there were tons of me. I was a lawyer, a doctor, all kinds of things, LOL! Never anything as cool as a poem or a Counting Crows song, tho!

elizabeth said...

jo, i'm such a wack-a-doo that i wouldn't mind if people came up to me and sang a song to me that had my name in it ;)