Monday, July 18, 2005


well, today mikey had his appt. with the ear/nose/throat doctor and it was determined that he needed to have his tonsils and adnoids removed. i thought that it would have been done more due to the fact that his tonsils are HUGE!!! but it has more to do with the fact that he has sleep apnea due to it.

when i told the dr. that mike thought that he stopped breathing while he snored his head off, and that i thought mikey was just switching where he was taking his air in at (nose to mouth/mouth to nose) the dr. just kinda laughed and said that was a nice theory and all but he was stopping his breathing.

so luckily i was able to schedule the surgery (out patient now, when i had mine out when i was mikey's age, it was a day or two stay in the hospital) for friday. i'm not sure what time yet, but since he will need to stay out of school for a week, i was lucky to get it done now. the doctor will be on vacation next week and bug starts school the week after that. my heart would have been broken if he missed the first week of school.

so i'm a lil nervous about how he is going to handle it. i have explained as best as i can what is going to happen, but i think the only thing he understands is that this weekend and next week he is going to be able to eat icecream and popsicles whenever he wants.

i have more things to tell you guys about, but i need to get bella in bed.


Jenn said...

it is always so tough when your kids have to have anything like that done. we always wish it was us instead...but, I find that the people are usually so good that workt there, the nurses, etc. hopefully they will put you at ease. I hope all goes well, I will be thinking about you!

debbie said...

I was a scrub in the OR and a mom and I can tell you that it is a lot harder on you than on your child. The folks that will be taking care of him are great, he will be in good hands. So hang in there, mom, Mikey will do great!

irene said...

my 3 year-old had his adenoids removed last week, so I am totally there with you. as incredible as it may sound, he really was in pain for about an hour and a half, and then, he was back to hectic normal mode. the anesthesia is the toughest part because of its possible side effects, but they recover so fast it's really amazing. I will pray for your kid. and for the mommy too.

pretendingsanity said...

aww mikey! I'm sure he'll do great in surgery!